Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Everyday is Exactly the Same.


"Someone once told me that this is the age of heartbreak.  The twenties.  Everyone and everything available to you if you'd but only ask.  What an amazing problem.  If you have everyone from with to choose-who then do you choose?  If you have every job to take-what is the one you should take?  What if you make the wrong choice?  When do you know if it is wrong?  What does wrong feel like?  What does right feel like?"
-Katie Wright, September 2007

It is amazing how much can change in a year.  It is amazing how much nothing ever changes.

A year ago I was going out of my mind trying to organize a gallery show, and worried if I would ever get a job after grad school.

Today I'm going out of my mind trying to organize a gallery show, and worried if I am EVER going to get a job after...well...all the rejection.

I think it is easier now.  I have seen all of this before.  Maybe now my skin is thicker.  Maybe the process is becoming mechanical.  Should I be relieved at this?

Savannah never felt like home.  
Here-there isn't any way I could be more at home.  
Last year I would have been absolutely shocked at the knowledge I would not have a (real) photo job in September 2008.
These days-in some way I'm thankful that at least I've got the jobs I have-although I do not feel fulfilled at all.  Does this mean I've failed myself? 
This time last year I was with someone who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with.
Today that relationship is over, and I feel as though I learned a great deal about myself in the process.  And for perhaps the first time in my life I feel complete in my solitude.  Am I supposed to feel like that?  But, I'm not getting any younger...
 
At what point do we stop questioning ourselves and just start living?



4 comments:

~John said...

living is what happens in between all of those questions

(sounds lame, but its pretty true)

The New Glitterati said...

What's the point of living if you can't ask a million questions?

Navel-gazing keeps the wine industry afloat.

sarah said...

btw i like the foot shots. explore this further...

Nicole said...

I like the feet photos as well!